What to do and to se around Val di Fassa if it is raining? Here are our suggestions, ideas, proposals in the mountains in case of bad weather.
Have you looked at the weather forecast in Val di Fassa and are you afraid of bad weather on your mountain holiday? No, no, don't get discouraged, there are various alternative proposals on what you can do between Moena, Pozza di Fassa and Canazei if it is raining. Trust us, there are various beautiful things to do in bad weather in the Dolomites.
The first thing you need to know is that it is useless to check the weather forecasts in Pozza di Fassa in advance, even if you do this to anticipate your holiday. They will change ten times before your departure, you will see! Look at the weather forecast in Val di Fassa at the most a couple of days before you leave in order to pack your suitcase smartly.
Remember that the mountain has its own soul (and character), so accept with confidence that it is in charge here.
The mountains can throw a few tantrums and shed a few tears just when we don't expect them to. So come prepared: a hooded mackintosh, a pair of good waterproof shoes and a water-proof rucksack are always needed!
Don't be surprised if, despite the gloomy forecast, the clouds suddenly disappear and the sun comes out. The weather in the Dolomites is always variable, you've already guessed it.
And if there is just a bit of bad weather in the Dolomites, just smile, you'll have fun anyway, because you already know what to do and see in Pozza, Moena and Canazei if it rains.
10 alternative ideas to spend a beautiful day in Val di Fassa in case of rain
- In case of bad weather in Val di Fassa during your holiday in our apartments you can enjoy "slow" moments, sleep a little longer, lie down on the sofa and watch your favourite film, warm up at any time with a cup of tea, try cooking a dish of Italian cuisine.
Or maybe you'd like to indulge in a real 'natural therapy' session by meditating while picking mushrooms in the woods? Look, when it rains there are plenty of them and we know all the places where you can find them, but we'll tell you the secret next time.
- You can go for a walk with your umbrella (you will find it just outside your flat) along the cycle-pedestrian path that runs along the Avisio river and passes 50 metres from our Residence, breathe the fresh air, listen to the rain singing and admire the mountains Cima 11, Cima 12, Catinaccio group, Monzoni, Sassolungo.
- Even if it rains in the Val di Fassa, there is a lot of fun for the whole family. Wait for the nice weather in the aquatic centers of the valley. Follow the waves of the 5 swimming pools at Dolaondes, 15 minutes from our apartments, and have fun at Vidor situated in our village.
- You can take advantage of the bad weather in Val di Fassa to discover the villages in the valley, the real little Alpine pearls near our Residence. Go shopping in the smart boutiques in Moena, admire the famous coloured house in Canazei, make a stop at the craft brewery in Campitello. And if instead of tasting mountain beer you have chosen an in-depth discovery of local producers' grappas, you can continue with your Dolomite experiences while it rains. For example, you can learn about the traditions of the mountain people in the Ladin Museum of Fassa in Vigo or the testimonies of the Great War in Europe's highest museum on the Marmolada. Be inspired by the shop windows of Pozza to choose souvenirs and typical products to take home from your holiday in the Alps, and, of course, hunt for the best strudel in the valley (your children will be happy!) among the numerous pastry shops.
- Our apartments are located close to the QC Terme Dolomiti, so you can even walk there. Enjoy a day of total relaxation in this wonderful 3-storey spa. You can spend a rainy day between steam baths, saunas, admire the mountains from the heated pools with waterfalls and whirlpool, regenerate in the relaxation rooms to end the dahy in beauty with inevitable Aperiterme dinner. Our apartments have an agreement with QC Terme Dolomiti, for your day of wellness we provide a 10% discount on the entrance.
- Spend time discovering tastes and flavours of the Dolomites. Have lunch or a snack in one of the mountain huts, taste the local dishes, chat with the locals, watch the alpine animals.
- Have you ever been to Austria? If your answer is "no", know that you also have this chance if it rains in the Val di Fassa during your holiday. The city of Bolzano is only 1 hour away from our Apartments Residence La Roggia and has a very convenient large car park right in the centre (or you can go there also for free with the Val di Fassa Guest Card, the bus N. 180 stops at 50 meters from our house).
All the main attractions of Bolzano are walkable. You can discover the city of a thousand faces without an umbrella, walking under the arcades of the historic centre. If you are a fan of contemporary and modern art, we recommend a visit to the Museion. You definitely can't miss meeting the Similuan Man, the famous hunter Ötzi. Show some respect, the man is 5.000 years old, but he tells his fascinating story to curious adults and children of all ages with great enthusiasm in an engaging and interactive way. Visit the charming market at Piazza delle Erbe, go shopping, spoil yourself with a slice of Sacher and visit Italy's largest Christmas market at Piazza Walther.
- If the weather is bad in Pozza di Fassa, you can take a trip to Trento. Stroll through the streets of the centre, visit the Buonconsiglio Castle, take the children to the MuSE to discover all together many interesting things about nature, mountains and technology, take part in an event or an exhibition at the MART.
- Still raining? Go to Merano to see the pretty villas in the old town, visit the most beautiful gardens in Italy (especially to admire the autumn foliage) at Trauttmansdorff Castle, dive into the pools or warm up in the saunas at the Merano Thermal Baths.
- The bad weather is about to end, come on, post on Instagram or Facebook the photos you took on your holiday in the Val di Fassa. Soon you will have no more time: the sun is coming out and you will be back to explore the Dolomites.